Believe, Aspire, Achieve
A high-quality physical education curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. It should provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
-National Curriculum 2014
PE at Carrwood Primary School
At Carrwood, our intention, when planning and delivering the P.E curriculum, is to make sure that every child should have the opportunity to take part in physical education on a regular basis and become more physically confident and competent. We hope that, through all the sporting opportunities that Carrwood provides, the children will have the potential to develop a love and passion for sport and continue this into their lives.
In EYFS the aim is to:
provide opportunities for young children to be active and interactive; and to develop their co-ordination, control, and movement. Children must also be helped to understand the importance of physical activity, and to make healthy choices in relation to food
In Key Stage One the aim is to enable children to:
- master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- perform dances using simple movement patterns.
In Key Stage Two the aim is to enable children to:
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- play competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, Rugby, Basketball, Cricket, Football, Hockey, Rounders and Tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through Athletics and Gymnastics]
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
- PE at Carrwood allows children to explore different cultures and gain an understanding of the wider world. They study different sports and the countries they originate from, famous people who participate within the sports and events which enriches their cultural knowledge. They also get a chance to understand rules of the game and to work as an individual and as part of a team.